Thursday, February 6, 2014

A few photos from our Block on the Norse Myths...

 
One of our favorite blocks from Grade 4 was the Norse Mythology Block.
 
There are a lot of wonderful blogs and websites to help inspire creativity, but my favorite books are listed below.  Padraic Colum's book is a fine read to fluff out more details for when you are telling one of the myths to your child.  But for drawing inspiration, the D’Auelaires book was fantastic!
 

Here are some of my chalk drawings.  I have yet to find the other stories we did - they are buried in my photo log somewhere - but here is something to get you started!  I used the D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths for the drawings.  They are just stunning and even more so when you get them on the chalkboard.  The cover world is a nice starting point before you being the tales so you and your child can familiarize yourselves for further enjoyment.






Here is from Yggdrasil, the World Tree...


 
 
Some wonderful more thorough coverage of this block can be found at these links:
 
 
 
Homeschooling Waldorf has some beautiful wet on wet watercolor paintings that may inspire you: http://homeschoolingwaldorf.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/watercolor-painting/
 
Sorry I have such little time as of late to showcase more of what we are doing, but I am happy if you can find even a little inspiration from our journey! 
 


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so happy to see you here! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent been to your blog in a while, but you were my inspiration for starting a homeschooling blog!! My life was saved when I found your blog in 2011 and started homeschooling my daughter. She always struggled with learning to read and we ended up doing vision therapy (saved her life!!) and I created a blog dedicated completely to her story.....and I also have a blog about our family adventures!! And you are my inspiration. Do you still live in Southern California? My girls and I are headed that way on Sunday for two weeks. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to meet you. Honestly, I do not think I would be where I am right now if you had not written this blog. What an inspiration you are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW...you just made my day - thank you so much for this beautiful and heartfelt comment! I couldn't get into my blog for the past year so I am just seeing this now. I am sorry we missed you on your visit out here. We are still in So Cal so if you come out this way again, I hope to meet you then! I'd love to see your blogs, so please post them here if you would like! Blessing and gratitude for your kind words. That was about the biggest compliment I could ever get (((hugs)))

      Delete