Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bugs...bugs...bugs...

So I admit - I'm a bug-a-phobe...I can handle rats, mice, birds, lizards, snakes, and everything in between. But those bugs - well becoming a mother has forced me to remain calm and embrace them as best I can. Here are some bugs we've seen this summer...

#1. Immature black widow (out of focus in the upper right corner of the iron fence)


#2. Anyone know what this one is? He was crawling on our painting board one day...not sure if it's a type of silverfish?


#3. Gorgeous ladybug (Hippodamia)



#4. Curious spider living in our roses. He literally came crawling out as I took pictures to see just *who* was invading his turf...definitely not shy at all...


#5. A sweet Masked Chafer - several came flying into our house this summer, attracted to light.


#6. A type of Cranefly...They are huge, but also quite sweet and keep to themselves...Tony always called them "mosquito killers"...


#7. A curious praying mantis keeping guard...I put him in our tomato plants...


Insects All Around
(can be sung to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star")

Lady bugs and butterflies,
Buzzing bees up in the sky.
Teeny, tiny little ants,
Crawling up and down the plants.
Many insects can be found
In the sky and on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen
    My favourite is definately the Ladybug :)

    Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen
    I love the praying mantis. We are huge bug lovers here! Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete