Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday


Holy Thursday
~by William Blake

'Twas on a Holy Thursday, their innocent faces clean,
Came children walking two and two, in read, and blue, and green:
Grey-headed beadles walked before, with wands as white as snow,
Till into the high dome of Paul's they like Thames waters flow.

Oh what a multitude they seemed, these flowers of London town!
Seated in companies they sit, with radiance all their own.
The hum of multitudes was there, but multitudes of lambs,
Thousands of little boys and girls raising their innocent hands.

Now like a mighty wind they raise to heaven the voice of song,
Or like harmonious thunderings the seats of heaven among:
Beneath them sit the aged man, wise guardians of the poor.
Then cherish pity, lest you drive an angel from your door.


"The Last Supper"
by David Newbatt


Our Lenten Table has really taken off. I've been adding to it daily during Holy Week...


Moss, Snooks our Syrendell snail, and a Lepidolite from San Diego.


A needle felted nest with 3 blue eggs...


A beautiful amethyst crystal, along with some flower fairies I made last year and a lovely Lenten candle...


And our grotto/cave stands empty...


Tonight, I will read to them from "The Easter Story Book" by Ineke Verschuren the story from the Gospel of John called "Jesus Washes His Disciples' Feet".

We will be having a very simple meal tonight, centered around homemade Lenten bread, some homemade Lentil Soup, a basket of grapes and some water placed in a jug.

Here's the Lentil Soup recipe my mother in law gave me. We used water instead of beef broth, but mmmmmmmm....is it good!

Enjoy and celebrate loving each other today!

15 comments:

  1. Your Lenten garden is absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks gorgeous:) I love the poem you've included here (a big fan of blake at the moment) and the picture of the last supper evokes so many emotions in me! I love the idea of a lenten garden and think we may just have to try this next year! Happy Easter xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours of your corner. it looks so spiritual and ethernal. Wonderful. Happy easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the Last Supper postcard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nature table looks great, Jen. I have another question. How do you get the silk to hand so nicely on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jenn, I got it at the Steiner College Bookstore. It is also available at Wynstone's Press website - shipping is a lot, but they have beautiful postcards...If you have a waldorf school near you that has a bookstore, I'd recommend phoning there first. Otherwise, here's the link to it through Wynstones:

    http://www.wynstonespress.com/Website/pages/Postcards/DN/DN91.htm

    And yes, hanging silk can be tough. I didn't want to make any holes in it, so I use clear packaging tape to stick it to the walls. It doesn't damage the walls and so far, my silks seem to handle it OK. There are different grades and thicknesses of silk, so you might want to be careful with finer silks, but the heartier ones should be ok with that - hth and if you hear of a better way, I'm all ears :D

    And thanks to everyone else for the sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful posts! Snooks looks pretty happy lumbering along the table. Having the rocks and everything set up gives your children such a nice visual presentation of the holy days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jennifer! We adore Snooks :D He's been very loved since he came to live with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, I'm really inspired by your nature table. I just wrote another post for my Calm Family series and I was sharing that I want to express more of the festivities in the year through seasonal nature tables. The spring grass is so perfect and fun for little ones. You really capture the season and the beauty of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much Raelee! I just love your blog and added it to my list of Waldorf inspired blogs :D Your words really resonate with me (and so many others)!!!
    Hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Lenten table; the felted bird's nest is a wonderful symbol of spring. My children have been sighting nesting birds all over; including in the mast of our sailboat! You are amazingly creative, I so enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I'm always looking for a new lentil recipe. Will have to try your minl's recipe. I Love the gnome cave, your nature table is beautiful.

    Happy Easter,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am doing a meme for the 40 days of Lent this year and later this week I'll be posting about our Lenten Garden.

    I hope that it is okay to link to your photos. I want to give my readers and participants some more ideas of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure, Trish - a link to the photos would be fine! Thank you for including my photos/blog in your post. I'm flattered :) Have a wonderful Lenten season!

    ReplyDelete